Summer Reading Is For Everyone!
Jun 14 - Aug 23, 2014
Summer Reading is for Everyone! Sign up for Summer Reading Paws to Read this summer and use the reading log to track time spent reading; earn prizes upon completion. Pre-readers may share a book with a parent, sibling, or a friend.
Baby Summer Reading and Fun Literacy Ideas
|Babies aged birth through 24 months are invited to have a paw-filled time this summer with books and fun activities.|
Developing literacy skills and language is as easy as ABC & 123 & Do Re Mi!
1. Read a favorite book for a second or even third time.
2. Listen to an audio book and follow along in that book at the same time.
3. Identify objects that are in a book you're reading together.
4. Check out and read a downloaded library e-book.
5. Clap along to the rhythm in a rhyming book and have everyone join you.
6. Point to pictures in a book and talk about them. ("Look at that funny cat!")
7. Discuss the story in a book you've read together. ("Why do you think the cat jumped in the water?")
8. Sit or cuddle together while reading aloud. If in a wheelchair or special chair, sit close enough so everyone can see the pictures and hear you read.
9. Choose a book with raised surfaces and textures that can be touched.
10. Use simple sign language as you read.
11. Visit the library.
12. Ask the Librarian a question.
13. Sign up for a library card.
14. Tell simple stories.
15. Tell each other stories and then write them down.
Interested in more Summer Reading?
Who's it for?After you’ve completed your Summer Reading log and collected your prizes, join us online for more reading fun. Create an account and track the extra hours you read, and then print your certificate at the end of the Summer. There are no prizes for Go Fetch!, but you’ll be part of Contra Costa County Library’s effort to read a record number of hours in 2014!